Oooh it’s been forever since I spammed some music. Kalafina has a new album out, “Consolation”. This is signal, my favorite new track from the album, though it’s a bit weird and not for everyone I guess. Wakana goes “AAAAAAAH” in this beautifully haha.
Other recommended tracks from the new album are:
- to the beginning (which has been out for a while so here’s the live)
So how about a feelsy U.N. Owen mix then? These are actually 2 tracks played back to back. First track is instrumental, 2nd track has vocals. I think both are very lovely renditions.
Random Nier ost in your face! If I recall correctly this is the music that plays while you fight the boss made out of boxes in the Barren Temple. <— epic description
Zwei’s latest single. I had to post this because I am such a complete sucker for choruses that flow like this one, and there has to be a word for the way the final chorus kicks it up a notch, which is also something I love. Has a lot of bleepy bloopy animumusic in it though.
Music! Zwei will have you believe they’re a two member band, but I’m pretty sure I can hear more music than just the vocalist and the bassist… Still, they’re pretty ladies so marketing them as a duo is a smart move. I have a huge crush on Ayumu’s voice (shut up, that’s totally possible), and Megu is the reason I cut my hair short years and years ago (I brought a pic of her to the hairdresser).
If you like Japanese music, but don’t like the way most female vocalists sound like they’re 12 year old little girls, this is a band to give a try, as Ayumu sings like a complete and total badass.
I’m not totally sure about all the details but it seems that a couple of years ago they switched labels, which also switched their genre from rock to a more pop style.
- Movie Star - Embedded, sorry but I couldn’t not start with this song. “Noobie sauce. Noobie sauce.” Aaah, Engrish~ This was their first single and I think I listen to this with nostalgia-hearing aids, since it’s not super super special.
- Ice Breaker - This is my actual favorite one. Sorry for the weird link, I couldn’t find it on youtube. I love how Ayumu belts out those choruses.
- Hikari - More of the same.
- Dragon - Same same :D
- Kaze no Uta - One of their more pop songs. Can you tell I’m running out of things to say when I try not to gush about how uguuu I think these artists are hahaha.
And now for something completely different. Maximum the Hormone is apparently a nu metal band, “the band is described as a mixture of pop punk, funk, metal and hardcore”. Whatever it is, I like it. I don’t even know why. I normally don’t enjoy grunty screamy vocals but… I don’t know, there’s something about this band!
- Koi no Mega Lover - Embedded up there. I have listened to this song about a million times. The happy chorus part was used in one of the promos in GameCenter CX once, that was the first and only time I actually knew a song that was used on there (except for the songs recorded by the AD’s of course). This made me stupidly excited. (ps: watch GameCenter CX)
- 「F」 - This song is about Dragon Ball Z’s Frieza. I’m not even kidding. They’re using him as a metaphor for all evil people in the world or something, but who cares? It’s a song about Frieza! \m/
- What’s Up People? - Death Note intro, where I first heard them.
- Tsume Tsume Tsume - This is a good example of what I like about them. The way the music switches up all the time. Also 2:07 is adorable.
- Maximum the Hormone - (warning: this video starts with one of the members vomiting) More of the same. If you didn’t like the above, you won’t like this ;p
- Louisiana Bob - And more sameness. This one has a cool chanty bit at about 1:45
- Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nurururerorero - And to end it, I can’t not link to this song. If you like the happy catchy cuteness without wanting to have it tainted, don’t read those lyrics >_>
And in other news, I hooked up my Bamboo! I’m horrible with it and need to get used to it again, but expect some crappy sketches later :D
I know I linked to this before in my Kalafina spam post but it’s my blog and since I can’t draw I’ll just spam pretty musics. Look at how much Wakana is sweating! Working so hard :D
Midweek music post! I wanted to do this last weekend but I spent all weekend at the new appartment getting all Ikea up in that sucker. Also, Ro put the first dent in the floor, yaaaay. We haven’t even moved in yet XD (we might be moving this weekend!)
Ahem, anyway! Last Alliance, or LAST ALLIANCE BECAUSE FULL CAPS, THAT’S WHY. You might have heard of them from Shissou, the ending theme to Ouran High School Host Club, which you certainly watched. I’m not judging, I enjoyed it as well, it was a quirky fun show.
Last Alliance has two vocalists, one which I adore and one which I can’t stand (I don’t know their names). Well, that’s harsh, but I don’t like him singing solo. I like it when they’re harmonizing. All of the songs listed here will have prominent vocals by the first one for that reason!
- Sabaku to Gensou - Embedded, this is my favorite one. I should mention here that I have no idea what they’re singing about, nor do I really care. Just listen how many feeeeeels he has in those choruses, especially the 2nd and 3rd ones!
- Solitude - This song is so much fun on Audiosurf, the way it starts all relaxed and then BAMFs at about 2 mins in.
- Katahiza no Yogore - Hahaha, figures the only vids of this I can find are Audiosurf playthroughs. The vocalist I don’t like has some solo parts in this, in case you were curious about him.
- Musou Jidai - More of the same hahahaha. Their music is all kind of samey I guess, but it’s a sameyness I enjoy a lot.
- Clone - This one is slightly different sounding, but that’s because they’re singing in English and that does weird things to their voices somehow. The opening verse is done by the vocalist I don’t like.
- Drag On - This is my other favorite, but I can’t find a youtube video for it that works! Perhaps they work for you?
Last Alliance is truly one of my favorites, right up there with Kalafina.
Today’s weekend music post will be the Nier OST. Go here. Listen to everything.
…Ok I’ll list my favorites as a bit of a guide. Though I could probably say “THE ENTIRE OST except for Blu-bird”.
- Emil - Karma - Embedded up there, the upbeat version of the Emil theme. For dramatics there’s the Sacrifice version. That one is used in the game a lot, I don’t listen to it very often. The DLC features a techno remix of this song. I like Karma a lot, not only because of OMG THAT MUSIC, but also very much because of when it’s played in the game. Karma, indeed. Kiiiing ;_;
- Song of the Ancients - Devola - This is the starter village theme. They implemented this interestingly, when you walk about you only hear the instrumentals to this song until you run into Devola near the fountain. She’s singing the song, so when you get close you hear her. If you speak to her, the vocals interrupt. Leave her alone and she’ll get on singing again. If you like this one, there’s also the Popola version, which features different instrumentals. Then there’s also the Fate version which plays as if Devola and Popola are singing a duet (re-recorded vocals) with nice beats because it’s boss-music. If you prefer techno-beats, the DLC has you covered once more.
- Cold Steel Coffin - This theme plays in the Aerie. Fun fact: the choir is 2 people.
- Kaine - Escape - This one is not in the playlist, hmm! Nice and upbeat. The ‘sad’ version of this, Salvation, is very overplayed in the game. They should have composed some more sad music to use in all the sad moments that occur about every 10 minutes of story gameplay.
- Shadowlord - I bet you couldn’t tell by the title that this is the theme that plays when you battle the Shadowlord. As you fight him and whittle him down the theme gets more and more subdued, finally ending in the music box version. And creys ;_;. Once again, the DLC delivers a remix.
- Temple of Drifting Sands - Dungeon music, I love these vocals.
- Ashes of Dreams - The only song on the OST that doesn’t use moonspeak. It plays during the end credits, and there are 4 versions, each pretty much the same but in a different language. I was doing a playthrough with our roommate sort of watching and when this started playing he got super depressed, not even having followed the story much. So WARNING, this music causes FEELS. All of the Yonah songs are this, but with different instrumentals and no vocals. Also, if you enjoy waltzes, Dance of the Evanescent is basically this but waltzy.
I’d list more, but this list is already too long for a simple sample. Have you not yet played Nier but own an Xbox360 or PS3 and enjoy mindfucky soulcrushing action j-rpgs, gogogo play it. Alternatively, this let’s play is funny and has some good videos. Also, Drakengard.
Ok, ok, I’m done.
Sharing some musics for lack of artses!
BUCK-TICK is one of the first Japanese bands I started listening to, and besides GO!GO!7188 the only old one actually still in my library. And also the only old one that’s ACTUALLY STILL TOGETHER *uglycries over gogo*. Buck-Tick is about as old as I am and have had the same line-up for all those years. They experiment A LOT.
The song up there, Limbo, is my favorite. I think it was 8 or 9 years ago that I had a school trip to London with my class and I basically had this song on repeat the whole time. Voiceophiles, I think Atsushi has one of the nicest voices ever. I truly love Limbo, with my innermost souuul.
- Zangai - This is the Buck-Tick I like best. Rocky and catchy riffs :D
- Buster - Imai has some vocals in this one as well. I, uh, don’t like it very much when he sings >_> But otherwise, this song is kind of like Zangai (in that I’ve been listening to it for years XD)
- Jonathan Jet-Coaster - Catchy riffs and funny Engrish, yay!
- Snow White - I don’t really know what to say about this one. It’s so melancholy. Live version, because it’s full of FEELS.
- Long Distance Call - More feels. This is a very sad song (read the description at the video if you want to know what it’s about). What I like best about this one is how the music changes at 4:27-ish.
- Dress - Let’s end it with sexy porn-music. This one is a bit more well-known, because it was used as the opening for the Trinity Blood anime. (I don’t really know why, it’s a pretty old song. Maybe because Gessekai (I like this one too!) was used for a vampire anime as well?). Abingdon Boy School did a cover of this one, I think it’s quite well done. It’s very different. Also, there’s a live version where Atsushi does guest vocals :DD
In which I unleash my musical tastes upon you once more!
This is Aural Vampire and according to last.fm the music they make is industrial/electronic. Anyway, I like it.
Exo-Chika sings live with those fangs in.
I am rather picky about which songs of them I listen to, so here’s a little list of the other 3 songs on my “this is awesome” playlist:
- Darkwave Surfer
- Preservative Woman (this one has a very cool asian-y hook, for lack of a better term)
But of course they have a bunch more I occassionaly listen to as well.
I don’t speak Japanese, by the way. Me listening to almost exclusively Japanese artists stems from my teens when anime was the shit and all of the intro songs were amaaaazing to my ears (ah, Megumi Hayashibara…). Since then I’ve preferred listening to vocals I don’t understand, cheesy lyrics can kill a song for me. And J-music is pretty mainstream on the internet so it’s easy to find new fun artists :D
I think I have stated my love for U.N. Owen Was Her? arranges before. A lot of the vocal U.N. Owen remixes are sung cutely, but I like these more mature vocals better. I mean, the vocals would represent Flandre, who is a little girl I guess so I can understand why most of these remixes are super moe. But I want badass vocal versions!
This vocalist is a man by the way XD (I’m not even kidding)
I don’t really keep up with news for my favorite bands and just check if they have new releases every so often, so I just now found out GO!GO!7188 broke up. QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ I NEED TO SHARE SOME STUFF WITH YOU GUYS OK.
The embedded video is Aa Seishun, the first song I heard by them (actual song starts about 1 minute in). This was seriously many many many years ago, as gogo was one of the first bands I really got into. The lead singer (with blonde hair in the video) is Yuu, she also plays guitar. The other girl (who speaks in the beginning) is Akko, who plays bass and the drummer is Turkey/Taaki. I’m just going to list some of my favorite songs here…
Music! :D I’m listening to the 2011 Kalafina live dvd at the moment. This is Kyrie, one of my favorite songs (and the first I heard by them). My favorite part is where Wakana and Keiko start “chanting” in Yuki Kajiura’s moonspeak at around 2:43
Who are these people?! Kalafina appreciation time!!
Hikaru - left of stage, wearing a black and white shirt and white skirt. Her voice is either high and cute or deep and strong. I used to dislike her voice when I first started listening to them but she’s grown on me immensely. If you like her deep voiced bad-assness check out Magia and Destination Unknown. If you like her cute voice try Aria (Maya, the fourth member is still in this video (red tutu). Her big part near the end is amazing, I wish she was still in the group :<).
Keiko - center stage, wearing a black shirt and white skirt. She has a very deep voice. Everyone is in love with Keiko but I like her best when she’s doing backing vocals (don’t shoot me). Her energy when on stage is amazing though. If you like her, she has a few big solo parts in Symphonia and you could also try out FictionJunction’s Synchronity, one of her solo songs.
Wakana - right of stage, wearing a white shirt and black skirt and one sleeve. She sweats when she sings. I like her voice best, I mean, I’m in love with this woman o_o. A few songs where her melancholy vocals really shine are Red Moon, Sandpiper and Adore (which is Kyrie 2.0 XD).
Wakana and Keiko are also both in one of Yuki Kajiura’s other projects called FictionJunction.
2 more of my favorite Kalafina songs not mentioned here are:
- Sprinter (Maya was still in the group for this, the lives with just the 3 of them are not so strong I think)
- Lirica (when the moonspeak chanting hits at 2:40 it’s like O_O)
This is one of the music genres I’m interested in: “pretty music with pretty (classical) female vocals”. I might share some other stuff some time, my tastes are rather… Eclectic and… Bad. XD
Working on the Witchprince layout. I’m really bad at a) designing layouts and b) making them work in wordpress.
So, while messing around in Photoshop with layout ideas, I’m listening to my favorite song on repeat! (240 plays in itunes as we speak) And this is it.
It’s off key and silly but DAMN THAT REFRAIN IS SO FUCKING CATCHY. It’s a vocal remix of the boss music that goes with Flandre from the Touhou games (U.N. Owen Was Her?). I don’t even know how to pronounce that kanji, man. “What’s your favorite song?” “Uh… Something something Kyoai. By uhh… Buta-otome.” “What do the lyrics say?” “I don’t know ;_;” (though one of the main reasons I tend to listen to Japanese music is because I don’t speak the language and don’t get distracted by horribly cheesy lyrics. also, I’m a former japanophile)
I listen to horrible, horrible music :D If you enjoy the general melody of the song, check out Adauchisan’s youtube account. Nothing but U.N. Owen remixes!